Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Olympic Team Trials 2012 - THANK YOU


First and foremost, I sent all my congratulations out to those who won the 2012 Olympic Wrestling Team Trials this past weekend in Iowa City, IA. I will do whatever I can to help you as you represent out country with honor. I feel like we have a very strong team and are ready to shock the world and win the Olympics as a country. I next want to thank all of the businesses and family and friends that supported me financially and in spirit as I trained and competed in my attempt to make the Olympic Team.

I clearly fell short if you hadn't heard yet. I had a very disappointing tournament, but I was one of only ten wrestlers at my weight class that were given the opportunity to even try and make the Olympic team. I am not done with my career yet. I am young in this sport and ready to go back to the drawing board, fix some things, physically, technically, and mentally as I start my training for Rio in 2016. I am discouraged that I didn't compete to my best ability but I feel the ability and potential is there. I just have to take and do work and get there. 

I saw many things this weekend from my teammates and other wrestlers around the country that experienced the tournament as I did, with disappointment. Disappointment does not have to lead to depression, or despair, or regret, or retirement. I can lead to dedication, commitment, desire, and can make a person stronger in the long run. I believe this is what will come of my disappointment in Iowa City. I know in my heart I am better than what the fans saw this weekend. I know I have the ability and the determination to be the best in the world, it just won't be in 2012. 

I only ask my friends and family to continue to believe in me as you have this past couple years. I will always appreciate your support in all ways. Thank you again and GO TEAM USA!

1 comment:

  1. Great post- I am sorry you did not make the 2012 team- good luck to you in your future. Not sure if you remember us- you were reefing for a tournament and my son wrestled with you for fun- you are an inspiration to him. He is a bigger kid at 14 at 6 foot tall already weighing 200 pounds. He just won All American in Iowa. Just know that you have made a difference in his life already. We believe in you and are supportive!

    ReplyDelete